Monday, January 20, 2014

Book Review, The Fault in Our Stars


Title: The Fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green.

       I have a disease. I have an unhealthy addiction to chick-flicks, it is incurable, I am ashamed... and yet: I cannot stop, and worse yet: I don't want to. In my many wasted days spent crying over a character in a movie dying of cancer (see: Keith, A Walk to Remember, Restless etc.) I have never cried as much, not even whilst reading The Book Thief, as I did when I read this book. 
       Although you'd be terribly, fatally wrong if you thought that that put me off the book. No, I pushed through my clouded eyes in order to fully absorb every beautiful word. I always hear about a book that changes a person's life. I hear about a book that makes you think about the world in a different way; that is what The Fault in Our Stars did for me. I now look at phrases and poems and literature and try and see it through Augustus Waters of Hazel Grace's point of view. 
       I not only fell in love with the words used in this book, I fell deeply in love with the characters and their witty, funny and nerdy views on the world. 
      The Fault in Our Stars is brilliant and I commend John Green on spending a decade writing it, this book is worth a decade. This is the first book I ever read where the main character is dying, cancer is commonly written or viewed from the point of a healthy person, perhaps because how do you put into words the thoughts and feelings of a girl who is achingly aware that she is going to die young. Green tackled this challenge and came through a worthy victor. 
      This hauntingly beautiful book is an epic romance of star crossed lovers, it shows the reader a unique view of the world. It will make you think, it will resonate within the recesses of your mind for a long time. This is a book that compels you to want more and re-absorb everything again and again despite the inevitable tears and perhaps why I cried for seventy-nine pages straight, this book reels you in, this book demands to be felt.

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12536395/?claim=ampre9v22cm">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

1 comment:

  1. A well-written review, I now feel compelled to read it :')

    ReplyDelete