Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Youtube Culture

I really got into youtube about a year and a half ago. I started with Jenna Marbles and then moved on to Zoella, and then to the rest of her friends affectionately named "The British Invasion."
At first I just watched the main channel beauty videos, but as these internet sensations rose to stardom their videos became less and less about what they started out about and more into the relationships and collabs with their friends.
Let me set this straight: I am not complaining.
I love these youtubers, they make me happy when I'm sad and they make my day so much lighter. However I feel that lately I've been relying on their "perfect lives" a bit too much. The viewers seem to forget that these people are human and that when you watch their daily vlogs that you are only seeing 10 MINUTES OF THEIR DAY.
That's ten minutes! that's nothing, I spend more than ten minutes in the shower and that is all you are seeing of their day. Yet during these vlogs you feel like you get to know them, they have conversations with you and you get to know parts of their personalities, and to you it can feel like you would be such good friends. There are probably five million other people who feel they would be best friends with the entire british invasion.
We see ten minutes of their day and feel like we know them so well, but if I were to walk up to them and say hello. They would have no idea I even exist.... doesn't that seem weird to you?
I've never been one to have serious celebrity crushes. It's just so weird that I feel like I know sooo much about them (in reality I don't) and that they don't have any idea who I am or what my life is like.
It feels weird that I can spend an entire day watching their lives and not doing anything with mine... it's kind of sad actually.
I realise for a lot of people that these videos are an escape, they are for me too. It's just that while they are fun and while they make you happy, people need to realise that they only show a very limited amount of themselves. They don't have videos where they bitch about other YouTubers, you don't see their faults.
It is not possible for a person to have NO FAULTS. There is not group of friends in the world where no one is annoyed by ANYTHING another person does.
So while YouTube does offer a utopian get-a-way I think it's important to realise that their lives are not our lives, and that the life you watch them have is basically them having a good time with friends who they love and friends who they play games with. Once you take away the fans and the videos and the fact that they all have amazingly white teeth. Then they are all just human.
And guess what?
So are you.

I do not own this image (as if that wasn't obvious)

No comments:

Post a Comment