Sunday, September 7, 2014

In Defense of the Fluffy Romance Novels

Okay, I think this may turn into a series of blog posts. There are many things I need to address in my writings to defend the "fluffy romance." I myself am an avid reader of fluffy romance novels. I have read more than I care to count and I want no longer to be one of those people who shamefully hang their heads when asked what they read.

Why is it that so many people say that Pride and Prejudice is their favourite book? I'll tell you why, be cause it is an acceptable response (it is also quite a good book). It's a response that people won't scoff at. Sure you can love any contemporary indie novel that you like, but if you happen to enjoy a light funny romance book, then you're shallow and have no taste? I'm sorry but that's bullshit.

So I'm going to address some of the main arguments that people have against romance novels.

The first thing I want to talk about is when people say that romance books are predictable. OF BLOODY COURSE they are predictable. Life is predicable. I am a person and I can guess at how life will work out in certain situations. People are confusing predictable with realistic of the situation. Also they always say they can tell what's going to happen with the plot and how they are going to end up together, the whole point of a romance novel is that they end up together... just saying.

Now, I want to move on to the polar opposite: that romance books are completely unrealistic, that this doesn't happen to anyone in normal life. Again, you are reading fiction. If you dislike situations that arn't about to occur in real life then don't read fictional novels. These are romance novels and their target audiences are people who enjoy romance and love the utter impossibility and confidence that this type of love can exist... even if only in an authors imagination.

There are millions of types of books out there and just a moment ago (literally just a moment ago) my friend asked me what her favourite books were and I said Spellbound, (by Cara Lynn Shultz, REALLY good teenage romance book) and she said no, "that looks lame" I know for a fact that she loved that book, that we fangirled over that book for weeks... but she can't even post it on Facebook that she likes it because it's lame and everyone is posting "adult books."

Screw that for a joke, I strongly dislike those literary snobs who judge people on what novels they read, well at least they read! Unlike so many my age.....

.
..
...

So really got on a rant there, anyway I'll post more in defense of the fluffy romance later, have a nice week,
M xx

1 comment:

  1. You know what? I TOTALLY AGREE. I don't actually read a lot of fluffy books, but I get the same sort of response when I read a zombie book or something. Everyone says "ew" and then judges your reading standards. But if I'd have said Tolkien or something, I'd be hugely knowledgable and smart. *sigh* I think people should be allowed to read what they want without being judged. Besides, sometimes it's NICE to read something fluffy and happy! Reading is supposed to be fun, right?!
    Thanks for stopping by @ Notebook Sisters!

    ReplyDelete